Leaving a Legacy at B Street
Planned gifts provide the resources that create extraordinary opportunities and preserve our future. By including B Street Theatre in your financial planning, you can provide a legacy that will help ensure the mission of B Street Theatre — to promote education and literacy, social interaction, and cultural enrichment by engaging children and adults in the highest quality theatre arts and playwriting.
To advance this mission, B Street Theatre has established the B Street Theatre Endowment Fund at the Sacramento Region Community Foundation. This fund allows us to accept major or lifetime gifts as well as gifts of appreciated stock, real estate, life insurance, or retirement plans, all with the goal of long term sustainability of the theatre and its vital programs.
Whether you are updating your will or curious about charitable giving vehicles with immediate tax benefits, B Street Theatre hopes you will remember us when making your plans. If you have already named B Street Theatre in your will or trust, please share this wonderful news with us. We enjoy celebrating these gifts, ensuring the donor’s wishes are fulfilled, and honoring your gift in a variety of special ways.
What are some of the benefits to Planned Giving?
- Donors can contribute appreciated property, like securities or real estate, receive a charitable deduction for the full market value of the asset, and pay no capital gains tax on the transfer.
- Donors who establish a life-income gift receive a tax deduction for the full, fair market value of the assets contributed, minus the present value of the income interest retained; if they fund their gift with appreciated property they pay no upfront capital gains tax on the transfer.
- Gifts payable to charity upon the donor’s death, like a bequest or a beneficiary designation in a life insurance policy or retirement account, do not generate a lifetime income tax deduction for the donor, but they are exempt from estate tax.
How can planned giving help you meet your charitable goals?
An endowment fund provides a consistent amount of charitable service, year in and year out, forever. Funds are invested in a diverse portfolio. An annual percentage payout of the endowment fund’s total return is distributed to B Street Theatre every year. As more charitable donors contribute to the fund, the fund grows both in value over time and via dividends and interest paid on the investments.
Making a gift to the endowment allows you to meet charitable goals that you might not have thought possible. For example, let’s assume the fund is netting a returning average of 7% per year and pays out percentage of 4.5%. A gift of $10,000 to the endowment 100 years ago would:
- Distribute $5,187 this year
- Have a value of $118,137 this year
- Have distributed $195,647 over the years!
A planned gift to the B Street Theatre Endowment Fund isn’t about the size of the initial gift, but rather the value of the charitable work that the gift will provide forever!
For more information please contact Garrett McCord, Development Associate, at (916) 443-5391 x113 or email at email@example.com.