Garry Maisel’s commitment to community is evident in his every action as President and CEO of Western Health Advantage (WHA).
As President, Garry has provided leadership at WHA from its start-up in 1996 to current recorded annual revenue of more than $750 million. WHA focuses on improving healthcare access and affordability and is known for developing innovative programs to expand coverage to the uninsured.
The Company’s growth and quality earn it a regular spot on the Sacramento Business Journal’s annual list of Top 50 Fasting-Growing Companies, most recently in 2015. Garry leads WHA’s growing workforce, which provides award-winning customer service to more than 135,000 members in the Sacramento and North Bay Regions.
In addition to positioning WHA to improve access to healthcare, he also believes in leveraging his organization to support various non-profit organizations and community causes. An active community board member, Garry currently lends his expertise and experience to:
• WEAVE (Women Escaping a Violent Environment – (Past Board Chair)
• Valley Vision – A Leadership Organization Dedicated to the Sacramento Region
• Greater Sacramento Area Economic Council
• Sacramento Region Community Foundation
• Mercy Foundation (Past Board Chair)
• B Street Theatre (Current Board Chair)
• Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts (Past Board Chair)
• American Heart Association – Sacramento Division
• California Asian Pacific Chamber of Commerce
• The University Foundation at Sacramento State
• The Chevo Foundation – Dedicated to Parkinson’s Research and Education
• Meristem – Serving Youth Adults on the Autism Spectrum
• California Association of Health Plans (Past Board Chair)
• Health Plan Alliance – A National Organization of Provider-Aligned Health Plans (Current Board
Garry holds a degree in finance and economics from California State University Sacramento and has accumulated 26 years of experience in healthcare plus 10 years in the banking and finance industry, including time as the Chief Financial Officer for a regional community bank. Garry has received numerous awards, including the Sacramento Metro Chamber 2010 Businessman of the Year Award; the 2011 Individual Arts Leadership Award from the Sacramento Arts & Business Council; the 2014 Executive Leadership Award from Community Link Capital Region, and the 2015 Humanitarian of the Year Award from UCP Sacramento.
Whether he is providing quality healthcare coverage to employers and individuals or expert counsel to non-profit organizations, Garry Maisel is perfectly suited to lead an organization committed to the people and businesses of the Sacramento and North Bay Regions.